John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
The peace that Jesus gives us is the type of peace that surpasses all understanding. (Philippians 4:7)
Its the kind of peace that causes the world to question how one can remain peaceful amidst seasons of great suffering and testing.
The worlds peace is:
- Easily changeable
- Dependent on circumstances
God’s peace is:
- Not dependent on circumstances
It is during the trials of life that we become more aware of God’s perfect peace and experience God’s presence firsthand.
Obtaining peace and keeping it
- Make peace with God – Know and understand what Jesus has done on the cross for you. He died to give you peace with God. Romans 5:1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Make peace with yourself – Know who you are in Jesus. You are the righteousness of God and have been forgiven and set free. Colossians 1:20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.
- Allowing peace to be your umpire – Walk in God’s will for your life and follow Jesus where He leads. I know instinctively when I am outside of God’s will because I quickly lose my peace and it really does feel uncomfortable in my spirit. Its essential to stay in tune with the Holy Spirit, through maintaining a relationship with Jesus, praying & reading the Word. Colossians 3:15 And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ’s] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always].
- Let go – Cast every care and worry on Jesus. The worries in our life are not ours to keep. 1 Peter 5:7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
- Wait on God – check with God before making decisions. Try not to make hasty decisions and spend time in prayer beforehand. I lose my peace when I am walking in the flesh. Psalm 27:14 Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!